Well, it’s difficult not to keep going back for more: especially when it’s extra-yummy. At Moorish, we naturally smoke chickpeas over oak chips and add them to our recipes; which gives them an irresistible earthiness. Here’s why you can let yourself indulge…
- Humous can make you happy! Not only in a taste-sensation kind of way; but especially for women. Tahini has a high calcium content which can help your mood (and reduce cramps) whilst the B6 and manganese in chickpeas are also mood-boosters. Magnesium in chickpeas is also good for reducing bloating, water retention and cramps.
- A great, healthy source of protein – especially for the veggies in your life who may be suffering from cheese overload.
- It’s more versatile than you think – of course you can use your favourite dippers and it’s great in a flatbread with crunchy salad; but have you tried humous instead of tomato on a pizza base? Stirred into pasta? Or how about as a topping on mushrooms with crunchy breadcumbs? Yum. Check out http://www.lovemoorish.co.uk/recipes for more great ideas.
- It’s easy and quick – a much better fast food option when you’re in a hurry.
- With a low GI index, the carbs in chickpeas are broken down and digested slowly – helping you control your appetite – which is great if you’re managing your weight. And especially good for those who have insulin resistance, hypoglycaemia or diabetes.
- Hold off those colds with immune-boosting lemon and garlic.
- It’s great for sharing – an easy ice breaker or appetiser at your party – or just with crisps in front of your favourite girls-night-in movie.
- All of our smoked humous is made with British rapeseed oil, which is surprisingly rich in omega 3 and 6.
- It’s important to get enough fibre in your diet and humous is a great way to do it – give it a super-boost by dipping wholewheat pitta or homemade flatbread.
- Kids love it – and it’s not-very-secretly good for them. So who cares if they dip their fingers in the pot?!